Beer-Battered Oyster Salad with Warm Bacon Dressing
Beer Battered Oysters
3/4 cup all-purpose flour plus 1/2 cup flour for coating
1/4 cup finely-ground yellow cornmeal
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. kosher salt
1/2 tsp. ground black pepper
8 oz. lager beer
1 tsp. red pepper sauce
Vegetable oil, for deep-fat frying
20 shelled fresh oysters
Spinach with Warm Bacon Dressing
8 oz. thick sliced, smoked bacon
1 cup thinly sliced red onion
1 tsp. minced garlic
1/3 cup cider vinegar
2 Tbsp. water
1 Tbsp. Dijon mustard
2 Tbsp. honey
1/4 cup vegetable oil
Kosher Salt and cracked black pepper
2 qt. baby spinach
2 hard-cooked large eggs, peeled and chopped
1 cup halved cherry or grape tomatoes
Heat deep-fat fryer to 350 F.
- In a bowl, combine 3/4 cup flour, cornmeal, baking powder, salt and pepper; whisk in beer and hot sauce and stir just until mixed. Let batter stand 5 minutes.
- In a heavy pot heat enough oil to deep fry the oysters. Place remaining 1/2 cup flour in a bowl. Dredge oysters into flour and then dip into batter. Deep fry oysters (in batches) for 4 minutes or until golden brown and heated through. Remove from heat and drain on a paper toweling or a paper bag. Serve 5 fried oysters over top of a salad or serve fried oysters with a tartar or cocktail sauce.
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, cook bacon slices until crisp. Remove from pan and drain on paper toweling. Crumble bacon and reserve. Remove all but 3 Tbsp. bacon fat from pan.
- In the remaining hot bacon fat, sauté onions for 2 minutes. Add garlic and continue to sauté 1 to 2 minutes, stirring often. Add vinegar, water, mustard and honey and bring to a simmer. Cook 1 minute. Whisk in oil and adjust seasoning. Keep warm.
- Place spinach in large salad bowl and pour hot dressing over spinach. Toss well to coat thoroughly. Top with chopped eggs and toss gently.
- Portion salad onto 4 plates and garnish each salad with crumbled bacon and 5 beer-battered oysters. Garnish with tomatoes. Serve immediately, while warm.
Yield: 4 servings
Portion: 2 cups salad/5 oysters